Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Still a Risk in Summer

Carbon monoxide is so deadly because it is invisible and odorless, so by the time that there’s a dangerous level inside your home or business, it may be too late.

Although many of us may think that with the summer months now here and our windows open to allow in fresh air there will be a reduced risk of it building up in our homes, that is actually not the case at all.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can occur within 10 to 15 minutes of exposure. Some of the signs of poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea and light-headedness, all of which are signs that you should get out of your home and, in serious cases, visit your local emergency room to get yourself checked out.

To keep everyone at your home or business safe, there are two main steps you can take. First, you want to make sure that there is proper ventilation throughout your property that keeps fresh air flowing into all areas of the building. The other way to keep yourself from being exposed inside your structure is by installing carbon monoxide detectors on every level. Illinois law states that all houses with an attached garage or natural gas to the house must have a CO detector within 15 feet of all bedrooms. With detectors in place, you will be alerted to any increase or unsafe level of carbon monoxide. Don’t forget to check the batteries regularly, though, and replace units every five years to ensure that you’re protected as detector hardware can degrade with time.

For more information on our services or to schedule your inspection, call us today at 217-352-3743.