Call/Text (217) 352-3743

You may have been told that it’s a smart idea to have your property tested for radon, but what is exactly is radon and why is it harmful? Although many homes throughout the U.S. have some level of radon inside, many people are exposed to amounts that can cause a number of different diseases. In recognition of January being Radon Awareness Month, here’s some information to help you get a better understanding of this odorless gas so you can make a smart choice when it comes to radon testing.

RadonRadon is a type of radioactive gas that is typically present in the ground. Throughout the years, many homes have been built in areas with a high level of radon in the ground. Unfortunately, there is no simple way to tell whether or not there is radon in or around your home from just taking a look. That’s because it is impossible to see, taste or even smell radon. This is especially alarming considering how dangerous radon can be.

While most people have been exposed to some level of radon, continued exposure to high levels of this gas can be incredibly harmful to one’s health. In fact, radon is ranked just behind smoking as the leading cause of lung cancer, according to the U.S. Surgeon General. Furthermore, children tend to be more sensitive to the gas than adults, so families in particular are going to want to ensure that limited quantities of radon are present in the home.

Having your home professionally tested can determine if you have elevated levels of radon in your home and, if you do, give you a better understanding of the extent of the problem. If radon is detected, your inspector will let you know and can recommend licensed radon mitigator who can install a system to reduce the amount of the gas entering the structure. For more information about radon and how our inspection services can help you find out if your home has elevated levels of this invisible gas, contact Pristine Home Inspections today at 217-352-3743!