Ever wonder what the effects might be from that little bit of mold developing in your bathroom, or perhaps concerned if the moisture from an air conditioning system can also be producing mold not visible to the naked eye?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2004 the Institute of Medicine found enough evidence that suggests an indoor exposure to mold has a direct relationship to upper respiratory tract systems, such as coughing in an “otherwise healthy individual.” There were adverse effects for people suffering from asthma as well.
Though some people are more susceptible than others to these adverse effects, and more research is needed, some recent “studies have suggested a potential link of early mold exposure to development of asthma in some children, particularly among children who may be genetically susceptible to asthma development, and that selected interventions that improve housing conditions can reduce morbidity from asthma and respiratory allergies,” the CDC reports.
Much of the same evidence linked damp indoor environments to some of the same health issues.
Mold can be found both indoors and outdoors, making its way inside the comfort of your home by attaching itself to clothing, pets, etc. Furthermore, due to an abundance of moisture—such as a place where flooding occurred—mold can build up indoors on ceiling tiles and wood products. Mold can also grow and harbor itself in carpet.
If you can see or smell a musty scent due to the presence of mold, there is potential for health risks. For more information on the presence of mold and dampness, visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website.