When it comes to maintaining or upgrading your home’s HVAC system, it’s important to have a good understanding of the equipment and how it works. Asking the right questions can help you make informed decisions and ensure that your HVAC system is running efficiently. Here are some questions to consider:
- How old is the system? Knowing the age of your HVAC system can help you determine when it might need to be replaced. Most HVAC systems last around 10-15 years, but this can vary depending on factors like usage and maintenance.
- What type of system do you have? There are several types of HVAC systems, including central air conditioners, heat pumps, and ductless mini-split systems. Knowing which type of system you have can help you identify any specific maintenance needs or potential issues.
- How often do you change the air filter? Changing the air filter is an important part of HVAC maintenance, as it helps to keep the system running efficiently and prevents dirt and debris from circulating throughout your home. Ideally, the air filter should be changed every 1-3 months.
- How efficient is the system? HVAC systems are rated for efficiency using a system called SEER (for air conditioners) and AFUE (for furnaces). The higher the SEER or AFUE rating, the more efficient the system is. A more efficient system can help you save money on energy bills over time.
- Have there been any recent repairs or issues with the system? Knowing about any recent repairs or issues with the HVAC system can help you identify potential ongoing problems or maintenance needs.
- Is the system properly sized for your home? A system that is too small for your home may struggle to keep up with demand, while a system that is too large may waste energy and money. Make sure your HVAC system is properly sized for your home’s square footage and heating/cooling needs.
- What is the warranty on the system? Understanding the warranty on your HVAC system can help you plan for potential repairs or replacement down the line. Make sure you know what is covered and for how long.
- Are there any upgrades or improvements that could be made to the system? There may be ways to improve the efficiency or performance of your HVAC system, such as adding insulation or upgrading to a more efficient model. Ask your HVAC technician about any potential upgrades that could benefit your home.
- Can you recommend any specific maintenance tasks to keep the system running smoothly? Regular maintenance is key to keeping an HVAC system running efficiently. Ask your HVAC technician about any specific maintenance tasks that you can perform on your own or that they recommend having done on a regular basis.
- How can I improve the air quality in my home through the HVAC system? The HVAC system plays a large role in the air quality of your home. Ask your HVAC technician about ways to improve air quality through the system, such as adding air purifiers or upgrading air filters. They may also recommend regular duct cleaning or other maintenance tasks to keep the system clean and free of pollutants.
By asking these questions and staying informed about your HVAC system, you can help ensure that it is running efficiently and effectively. Regular maintenance and attention to potential issues can help you avoid costly repairs or replacements down the line.
More information for Home Buyers
- Is a Pre-Offer Inspection a Good Idea
- Mistakes to Avoid During Your Home Inspection
- How to Read and Decipher the Home Inspection Report
- 3 Factors Behind the Cost of Home Inspections
- Home Inspection Repair Requests Buyers Shouldn’t Make
- 9 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Home Inspection
- 5 Home Inspection Mistakes People Make
- Additional: Are Home Inspections Necessary?